The school day is from 8:30am to 3:00pm, with one day of early dismissal at 2:30 pm per week for teachers’ professional development. The school year consists of 180 days of instruction. Classroom assignments are based on age, grade, academic level, and social functioning to ensure that students feel comfortable yet challenged in their studies. Each classroom is staffed by a special education credentialed teacher and is supported by teaching associates throughout the day. This allows for an average student-teacher ratio of six students to one adult.
Raskob prides itself on staffing outstanding, talented and qualified teachers who are all highly trained in diagnostic and prescriptive teaching. All teachers are required to possess a California Level I or II Mild/Moderate Education Specialist credential, and some possess a Masters in Special Education or related field; middle school teachers also have training and experience in their content area. In addition, a variety of experienced instructors teach enrichment classes including art, music, and daily physical education.
The following principles and strategies guide our academic program:
- Appropriate and individualized pacing
- Multi-sensory teaching including kinesthetic, auditory and visual modalities
- Orton-Gillingham methodologies are used for reading remediation
- Mathematics is taught using manipulatives, other hands-on practice with structure and review
- Common Core State Standards are used to guide our scope and sequence of content
- Writers Workshop and Six Traits of Writing are used in both Elementary and Middle School